Monday, July 20, 2015

Eggs In Purgatory

     That's what the Italians call it, anyway.  This morning, eggs poached in Rao's Homemade Garden Vegetable Marinara: O...M...G!

     Look, I'm a Midwesterner; my ancestry is not drawn from your marinara-producing peoples.  So I grew up on Prego and Ragu and adding some meat and herbs (rosemary, fresh basil if you can get it), and there's your spaghetti sauce.  It's good enough but--  Let's say shelf life and ease of mass-production are concerns.

     Fresh Market, our more-or-less neighborhood market, does not stock common brands; my choice came down to several fairly expensive varieties.  I was sleepy and kind of went by which one had the most appealing label.

     It was a felicitous choice.  Rao's plain marinara gets rave reviews from people who live where fresh marinara is readily found.  The Garden Vegetable version adds peppers, mushrooms, carrots, I don't know what all else and not just a little of them -- it's crowded!  And very, very good.  Poach an egg in this stuff and it's happy to simmer.

     I browned some sausage and added it, which was entirely unnecessary.

1 comment:

NAVIGATOR said...

ROBERTA !

MARINARA (OR ANY OTHER SAUCE) SHOULD NEVER EMERGE FROM A CAN OR JAR FOR HUMAN OR ANIMAL CONSUMPTION IT IS CREATED AS THE NEED DEMANDS PROPERLY PREPARED IT IS AN EXPRESSION OF LOVE OF THE MOST HIGHEST ORDER

I AM SPOILED I COME FROM THE LAND GOOD OF THINGS TO EAT WHERE THE FOUR "I" S RULE
(INDIA IRELAND ISRAEL AND ITALY SUPPLEMENTED WITH 6000 CHINESE EATERIES)

AFTER WE GET CONSTITUTIONAL CARRY AND UNSEAT THE STALINIST REGIME CARRY WE CAN ARRANGE FOR THE DENIZENS OF ROSEHOLME COTTAGE A WORTHY GASTRONOMIC TOUR

BEST WISHES TO YOU TAM AND ALL PAWS